Yoast Seo Plugin. When I started blogging, I knew little about plugins and focus words. A WordPress blog, love for writing – I thought these were enough for me to sustain in the blogging world. But there is a difference between loving something and actually doing it.
I shared few posts on social media to which my brother commented that they resembled boring essays. His feedback was a wake up call to me. I tried to figure out ways on how I could improve my craft. A couple of Google searches and visits to WordPress online forums made me discover Yoast Seo Plugin.
I am sure Yoast Seo is not a new name to those who are blogging for years now. At the same time, I believe there are many who haven’t tried this yet. This post is intended for them to have a look at this plugin, which I think is a blessing for bloggers. It has no magical power, but includes small tweaks to your writing that makes a great difference in the long run.
How to install Yoast Seo Plugin ?
- Go to Plugins in your WordPress blog’s dashboard
- Click Add New
- Type Yoast Seo in search bar and you will see the plugin popping up in the results
- Choose the first one and don’t forget to look at the plugin’s compatibility with your version of WordPress. However, 1+ Million Active Installations itself speak in volumes
- Click Install Now button and the plugin will be installed
Post installation, you can either :
- click Activate button directly or
- go to Installed Plugin section under Plugins in your WordPress dashboard.
Yoast Seo will be activated for your WordPress blog and reflect on the left hand side of your Dashboard.
Before installing Yoast Seo, a new post section would look like this :
After installation, you will notice a sea change below the Add New Post area :
How does Yoast SEO plugin work with you?
You just need to input your Focus keyphrase and continue writing your post. How well you are doing with your post will be reflected in Readability and SEO on the right hand side of the draft under Publish .
If you see Needs Improvement / SEO not available, scroll down to the Yoast SEO features and do the suggested necessary changes.
There are certain etiquettes of blogging which Yoast SEO can make you learn.
- Good SEO Title width
- Density of focus words in your content
- Necessary content length
- Outbound and Internal links usage
- Proper url length of your post
- Meta description
- Passive voice used inside the content
- Suggestion to shorten a paragraph or a sentence length
- How much your content scores in Flesch Reading Ease test are some of the few features that Yoast SEO is built to help you with.
What more do you want?
This plugin has become my habit now. Even if I am writing on a plain notepad, Yoast’s suggestions runs in my subconscious mind. Yoast SEO has all the necessary qualities to become your guiding angel. It plays an important role in improving your writing skill set and your blog’s Search Engine Optimisation.
If you have not used this plugin yet, I suggest install it and Yoast once !